Tuna is by far my favourite fish! It is so versatile and can be treated like any good fillet steak. Having not had fresh fish for the entire time we were in Italy, I could not wait to visit Seafood on Sail and see what they had in stock for me. I chose two lovely pieces of tuna, and a fresh mackerel for supper – and the starter was sublime. I made tuna steak tartare to begin our meal and then seared tuna for afterwards.
Tuna Steak Tartare and Seared Tuna
for the Tartare
- 1 tuna steak
- 2 - 3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 2.5 cm fresh root ginger, crushed
for the seared tuna
- 1 tuna steak
- olive oil for rubbing
- Salt and cayenne pepper for seasoning
for the Tartare:
- mix all the ingredient together and taste! It may need another anchovy fillet for seasoning
for the seared tuna:
- rub olive oil on both sides of the tuna
- season with the salt and cayenne pepper
- when your pan is very hot add the tuna and sear for one minute per side
- slice and serve and enjoy
We are usually blessed with a lot of fresh tuna during the catching season. We also set some aside to eat raw. And the rest will be divided into steaks for searing. I have a great tuna sauce that works perfectly with this fish. The combination of the ingredients and the fresh coriander serve to lift the tuna to new levels of taste. It is so important to treat your seafood with respect. If you need to freeze it I suggest using cling film. Two good layers, tightly wrapped to keep the fish as fresh as possible. And to ensure you do not get freezer burn.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
2 thoughts on “Tuna Steak Tartare And Seared Tuna”