PinkPolkaDot has posted Friday’s Food Quiz Number 31 and here are my answers.
1. When we talk about Beluga, Osetra and Sevruga, what are we referring to?
2. What is Thai cuisine?
The cooking of Thailand is characterized by subtle blending of hot, sweet, salty, bitter and sour (and as I type these words I can hear John Tarode’s voice in my head). Chilli, mint, basil, scallion, cilantro and coconut milk are central flavours of Thai cuisine.
3. What is the difference between tomato paste, tomato sauce and tomato puree?
Tomato paste is concentrated reduced tomatoes, tomato sauce (ketchup) is cooked, preserved tomatoes and tomato puree is finely minced fresh tomatoes.
4. What is the common name for capsicum?
5. Some recipes ask for large eggs. How much is a large egg on average supposed to weigh?
6. In most countries a tablespoon refers to 15ml. What does a tablespoon refers to in Australia’s metrics?
7. Cajun spice consists of what?
garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, dried thyme, dried oregano. (see my blog tomorrow for the measurements)
8. What are the four main ingredients of Jambalaya?
chicken, sausage, rice, tomatoes
9. From where did Madeira cake originate and what is this cake traditionally served with?
Victorian England. This rich cake flavoured with lemon or orange juice and baked with a slice of citron peel on top is traditionally served with a glass of Madeira wine
10. “Pink Ladies” are what kind of fruit?