This recipe for Tequila Bolognese has been adapted from Drizzle And Dip.
I got my first glimpse of Drizzle And Dip, the recipe book in June of this year and waited patiently for the launch to receive my own copy. Samantha gave this recipe book to me as a gift at her launch, and signed it for me. As soon as I had it in my hands I opened it to a random page and the first recipe I saw is one for my grandmother’s crunchies (page 89) and I knew immediately that this recipe book was perfect. You see, one of my favourite memories of my own grandmother has to do with her crunchies. Our grandmother’s recipes use exactly the same set of ingredients albeit it slightly different quantities. Sam’s best ever roast chicken (page 132) is definitely going to be on my list of recipes to try as every now and then it is good to do something different with an every day meal.
Samantha’s forte is photography and her amazing photographs are alongside each of her recipes. It is the first thing that will grab your eye. The majority of the recipes are featured on a single page which makes it really easy for following. Each recipe has an introductory section, indicates the serving size and has clear instructions. The recipe book is separated into morning, noon and night and the recipe index is found at the start of each section. In order for me to review this recipe book, I chose to make tequila bolognese with linguine (page 116) and Sam has given me permission to reproduce the recipe here.
- olive oil for frying
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 60 mls good quality tequila
- 45 mls tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 15 mls parsley, finely chopped
- 15 mls sage, finely chopped
- 1 x 410 g tin chopped peeled tomatoes
- 250 mls beef stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- 15 mls balsamic reduction (optional)
- 400 g long-noodle pasta (linguini, spaghetti or tagliatelle)
- grated Parmesan, to serve
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large, heavy-based pot and fry the bacon with the onion, carrot and celery until soft (about 8 minutes)
- Add the mince and cook for a few more minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated
- Add half the tequila and cook briefly
- Add the tomato paste, garlic and herbs and stir
- Add the tinned tomatoes, the rest of the tequila and the beef stock and season well with salt and pepper
- Simmer on a low heat for about 2 hours
- If you're using balsamic reduction, stir it in right at the end, then check seasoning
- Serve with al dente pasta and freshly grated Parmesan
Next time I make this dish, I will add one red chilli finely chopped for some extra zing.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
What I blogged:
- one year ago – big bottle event
- two years ago – Friday’s food quiz number 37
26 thoughts on “Tequila Bolognese”
how does the tequila impact on the flavour? Is it only a subtle taste?
It is a very subtle taste 🙂
What an outstanding book Tandy and how special to receive one as a gift.
Lovely dish too.
It is an exceptional book Mandy 🙂
I never made ragù bolognese with tequila.
I try I like change my italian flavors
se si tenta, per favore fatemelo sapere cosa ne pensate!
Sounds like an awesome cookbook my friend, absolutely loving this Italian dish 🙂
Choc Chip Uru
It is awesome indeed Uru 🙂
Now I want to try that roast chicken recipe!
I have a HUGE chicken in my freezer and I will share the recipe with you when I have done it 🙂
A great & tasty pasta recipe! Thanks so much for sharing this deliciousness!
It is my pleasure Sophie 🙂
Tequila and Bolognese…sound very interestig!! I like variation to the usual theme. I’ve used Grappa once (I run out of wine), but never Tequila. This book sounds very interesting, I love good food pictures in a book..they inspire me!!
If grappa were not so expensive here I would try that as an option 🙂
This dish looks so delicious!!!
Thank you Asmita 🙂
This sounds like a must have recipe book, Tandy. I’ll look out for it when I get back to SA next year. 🙂
You will not be disappointed!
I’m going to look for it at amazon and take a pick inside. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Hope you enjoy it!
I wanted to buy Sam’s book and was so excited to hear that I will be getting one at Dinner Divas. It is a beautiful book!
You will love it – and yours is signed 🙂
I’ve heard a lot of buzz about this cookbook, where can I purchase one? Amazon lists it as out of print :(. Would you direct me to where I can purchase 2 of them please?
I will send you an email with Sam’s details 🙂