My dear friend Pink has posted a quiz. If you want to do it yourself, please pop on over to her blog to read the ‘rules’. If you just want to (hopefully) learn something new, read my answers below. I am not sure if they are all correct!
- What is a rendang? An Indonesian spicy meat dish, served on special occasions and usually made from beef.
- What does “to butterfly” means? This is when you cut a piece of meat or fish in half without cutting all the way through. A spatchcock chicken is one that has been cut down the middle. The meat / chicken / fish is then flattened. It allows for quicker cooking, or for further flattening to make schnitzels, etc.
- What is meadowsweet and what is it used for? Meadowsweet is a herb used for flavouring jams, stews, drinks etc. Click on the link to read more.
- What does Mulligatawny means? pepper water
- What does the term “coats a spoon” means? a term used when making custard. The mixture needs to be thick enough to ‘stick’ to the back of a wooden spoon which means it has cooked and thickened enough.
- What is “Ouefs en Meurette”? eggs poached in red wine
- What are the main ingredients of paneer? milk and lemon juice
- What is the name of Nepal’s most favourite dish? Dal Bhat
- What is the main ingredient of Chaas? buttermilk
- What do gazpacho, bouillabaisse and bisque have in common? they all use tomatoes