In the recipe book Karoo Food, Gordon Wright focusses on slow food done simply using Karoo ingredients. He makes mention of hogget which are sheep that are aged between lamb and mutton.
Chapters are divided into:
- Karoo lamb and mutton
- Beef and pork
- Chicken, poultry and wild fowl
- Charcuterie and curing
- From water and earth
- Smoking and braaiing
Recipes that caught my eye:
- Crispy, roasted lamb belly (p10)
- Karoo lamb sausages (p11)
- Slow-roasted lamb shanks (p16)
- Beef rib rub (p27)
- Grilled skirt steak with green sauce (p33)
- Karoo pork bangers (p36)
- Eisbein (p38)
- Susan’s blueberry and sage wors (p44)
- Good old-fashioned droëwors (p50)
- The best biltong recipe (p54)
- Tuscan-style venison fillet (p57)
- Honey hot wings (p74)
- Simple meat terrine (p93)
- Drunken prawns (p103)
- Sweet and spicy brisket (p137)
- Lemon curd pudding (p145)
- Rose’s crustless milk tart (p150)
What I made:
I made the crustless milk tart which kept amazingly well. My daughter-in-law warned me that I might need to leave it in the oven longer than what was indicated in the recipe book. It was not quite cooked after 50 minutes and probably the extra 15 minutes was a bit too long. Carli tells me mine was firmer than the one her grandmother makes. But, it was really delicious and worth making again. The most frustrating thing about this recipe was that the one dry ingredient was in grams and the rest in mls.
Dave mentioned that he thought it was strange to have seafood recipes in a book from the Karoo. This semi-desert region of South Africa is not at all coastal. Having lived at both the sea and in-land, I can tell you that nothing compares to fresh seafood. So, if they can get it in the Karoo then I don’t think it is out-of-place. I enjoyed the introduction before each chapter and recipe in Karoo Food. However, I found the infrequent page numbers quite frustrating, as well as recipes having mls for dry ingredients and not having consistent measurements.
Published May 2018
Penguin Random House South Africa sent me this recipe book to review.