I am motorbike crazy and yet, I cannot ride. So imagine my delight this month when The Kitchen Witch was assigned to me for this month’s Secret Recipe Club. Rhonda rides bikes, and says of herself that she is an above average home cook. She is a mum of 6 and a grandmother to 3 and has lived in a few interesting places. I chose to make the sun dried tomato pesto recipe as I love easy pasta dishes for the weekend. Pasta and beans are a a staple ingredient in our house but I have never put them together. This recipe only provided one challenge for me, in that I did not know what the sun dried tomato pesto tasted like, and that I made a batch myself. I think it needed slightly more oomph, but as Dave is not a big fan of sun dried tomatoes, I made the flavour quite subtle. I have since mixed the pesto with some basil pistou which is really tasty. I am using that together with my togarashi dressing to zest up our weekday meals. This is a great meat free dish, but the next time I make it, I am going to add some chorizo for a bit of spice.
which is your most used staple ingredient?
- While your pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large frying pan
- Sauté the onions until soft and then add the pesto and the chilli flakes
- Once heated through add the spinach, rocket and watercress and wilt the greens
- Add the beans and heat through
- At this stage you might need to loosen the sauce with some of the pasta water
- Add the pasta to the sauce and mix through
- Season to taste and serve with some shaved Parmesan cheese
For conversions click here