I prefer to make an enriched short crust pastry for my savoury tarts. The pastry itself is easy to make and takes very little time. It is enriched with an egg yolk and this makes it very crumbly.
On the evening of the 3rd of October I set my alarm to wake me 5 minutes before Dave’s went off. We have a weekday morning routine which begins with his phone blaring the same song out at 05h45 to wake us. Scarlett and Molly get off their couch and meet Dave as he walks downstairs. He feeds the dogs and makes us coffee and then we read in bed. As the 4th was his birthday I decided I would do the morning chores and bring him coffee as a treat. My alarm vibrated against my arm which confused me no end. And just as I got downstairs the house alarm made a beeping noise, warning me it was about to go off. Poor Dave, he was fast asleep and rudely awakened by that noise instead of being gently awakened by the smell of coffee.
Today’s inspiration ♥ Recipe For Short Crust Pastry ♥ can be found on Lavender and Lime Click To Tweet
Then this past weekend Dave had to work on a Saturday. I did not expect to be woken up so early and I was not well impressed when his alarm went off. Of course the dogs were very excited to get fed so early on a weekend! Dave headed off to Gansbaai and I made a batch of this short crust pastry to sit under a spinach and feta tart. It was this that greeted him when he got home. I must say I had to wait patiently to tuck in and was so hungry that I ate a slice before taking my photographs!
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
Short Crust Pastry
- 225 g flour sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 175 g butter cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 30 mls water divided
- Place the flour and salt into a mixing bowl
- Add the butter and rub in using your fingertips until it resembles bread crumbs
- Place the egg yolk and 15mls water into a mixing bowl
- Whisk to combine and add to the flour
- Mix together until the dough starts clumping, adding up to 15mls more water
- Turn out onto your work surface and form into a ball
- Flatten this into a disc and cover with cling film
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling out as needed
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime November 7:
- 2013 – Roasted Chickpeas
- 2012 – The Palms Market
- 2011 – Mashed Potatoes
- 2010 – Regional and Seasonal Challenge: Pea Shoots