Some recipes are born out of leftovers, and this spiced caramel ice cream is one of them. I made a large batch of the caramel to take to friends and not all of it would fit in the jar. So I used what was left in the bowl to make this dessert.
I met a friend for coffee the other day and she told me what happened to someone she knows. Supposedly, the person put her basket of goods on the counter and the cashier rang them up. After they were scanned, the items were placed into a bag. And when she left the store the sensor alarm went off. She was stopped by security, the goods checked against her slip and she was arrested for shoplifting. According to her, she gave the item to the cashier. I don’t know the outcome and I am not going to speculate, but the story has sat in the back of my mind since then. Last week I shopped the 3-for-2 specials at a local store. I gave the cashier one lot of goods, waited for her to ring them up, then put them in my bag.
Today’s inspirational recipe from Lavender and Lime ♥ Spiced Caramel Ice Cream ♥ #LavenderAndLime Click To Tweet
I did this to make sure the discount came off, but also with that incident in mind. After the third lot of goods she told me she had not rung something up, which I knew not to be the case as the discount had reflected. But when she said that again I decided to call the manager. I had the entire sale voided and made her ring each thing up in front of her supervisor. I was so cross as her lackadaisical approach to what she was doing in the first place necessitated this procedure. But I for one was not going to be accused of stealing if the cashier could not do her job. And I wanted the benefit of my large purchase by getting one item free for each three I bought. It took some time but eventually we got the sale completed.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
Spiced Caramel Ice Cream
- Place the egg yolk and condensed milk into a mixing bowl and whisk to combine
- Add the caramel and whisk to combine
- Place the cream into a mixing bowl and whisk until stiff
- Fold the cream into the condensed milk mixture until combined
- Place the egg white into a bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form
- Fold the egg whites into the condensed milk mixture until combined
- Place into a freezer proof container and freeze for at least 4 hours to set
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime March 11:
- 2020: Magica Roma
- 2019: Baked Camembert
- 2018: Typhoon Fury
- 2015: How To Install WordPress Onto Your Website
- 2012: I Have Been Tagged
- 2011: Whole Baby Tomato and Onion Chutney