We have had the most amazing strawberry season this year and I have been buying punnets at a time. We have eaten them with double thick cream, with Angels Share and on their own. But this special dessert of Strawberries With A Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar Reduction was a perfect use for some that had been left a day longer than planned.
Strawberries with a Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
- 16 strawberries, quartered
- a sprinkling of sugar
- a good glug of raspberry balsamic vinegar reduction
- place the strawberries into a dry frying pan and sprinkle with sugar - not too much to make them sickly sweet
- add a good glug of the vinegar - enough to make a nice sticky sauce
- keep on the heat until the vinegar has reduced to a wonderful texture
- serve immediately
When buying strawberries look for bright red ones that are firm and have a strong scent of strawberries. They should be nice and juicy when you cut into them. These are the ones best eaten as is. If they are a little dry you can use them to make jams or for this recipe. Did you know that strawberries originate in Brittany? This area of France is amazing to visit. It is far west, and in summer the sun sets very late due to daylight saving time. In South Africa one of the biggest strawberry farms can be found in Stellenbosch, literally on my doorstep. They offer facilities for you to come and pick your own strawberries which is a great way to spend the day with children.