On our recent trip to Scotland we were lucky enough to enjoy part of their spring. We had three days of 22°C and other days with snow and temperatures hovering around the freezing mark. Spring brought with it sunshine, and lots of heather. The fields were amazing and we even did a little bit of walking when the weather permitted it. I have read so much about the honey in Scotland and I can say that heather honey is wonderful. It is very different to the honey we get here. A friend of mine keeps bees, and I buy my honey from her. The latest batch is truly amazing with a wonderful depth of flavour. As you cannot bring honey into South Africa I decided to make do with ‘second’ best and purchased some Scottish Wild Flowers in a mix of salt and other herbs. I used this to create my heather honey chicken dish.
Do you have a special herb mix you use?
Heather Honey Chicken
- 4 chicken pieces
- 15 mls wholegrain mustard
- 15 mls honey
- 5 mls Flowers of Scotland Seasoning or any seasoning mix of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius
- Pat dry the chicken
- Mix together the mustard and the honey and rub onto the chicken skin
- Sprinkle over the seasoning
- Bake for 40 minutes and allow to rest before serving
What I blogged: