I cannot post my next recipe until I have posted my cheese sauce recipe. This is another recipe, where I am sure, there are lots of variations. This is mine – from Lavender & Lime.
- 375mls milk
- 1 baby onion, halved
- 3 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 25g butter
- 25g flour
- 125mls cream
- 5mls English mustard powder
- 125mls grated cheese
- place the milk, onion, peppercorns and bay leaf in a pot and heat to just before boiling point
- remove from the heat and infuse for 30 minutes
- pour the milk through a sieve
- in a saucepan melt the butter and then add the flour
- stir until golden in colour
- add one ladle of the milk and mix until smooth
- add another ladle of milk and mix until smooth
- add the rest of the milk and keep on a low heat for 30 minutes
- add the cream and mix until smooth
- remove from the heat and add the mustard and cheese.
Replace the cheese with 30mls green peppercorns or 250g sliced mushrooms that have been fried in a little bit of butter
Click on the links for conversions and notes.