On our recent trip to Scotland we were lucky enough to enjoy part of their spring. We had three days of 22°C and other days with snow and temperatures hovering around the freezing mark. Spring brought with it sunshine, and lots of heather. The fields were amazing and we even did a little bit of walking when the weather permitted it. I have read so much about the honey in Scotland and I can say that heather honey is wonderful. It is very different to the honey we get here. A friend of mine keeps bees, and I buy my honey from her. The latest batch is truly amazing with a wonderful depth of flavour. As you cannot bring honey into South Africa I decided to make do with ‘second’ best and purchased some Scottish Wild Flowers in a mix of salt and other herbs. I used this to create my heather honey chicken dish. Be sure to make use of honey that comes from hives as close to where you live as possible.
Do you have a special herb mix you use?
Heather Honey Chicken
- 4 chicken pieces
- 15 mls wholegrain mustard
- 15 mls honey
- 5 mls Flowers of Scotland Seasoning (or any seasoning mix of your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius
- Pat dry the chicken
- Mix together the mustard and the honey and rub onto the chicken skin
- Sprinkle over the seasoning
- Bake for 40 minutes and allow to rest before serving
What I blogged: