This recipe for Chai Inspired Karha Ice Cream is being linked to Kavey Eats challenge.
Today’s inspirational recipe from Lavender and Lime ♥ Karha Ice Cream ♥ #LavenderAndLime Click To Tweet
I think the most important thing for me is that I continue to learn and exercise my mind. Mostly, I want to emulate my mother-in-law and still be educating myself in my 90’s. She is 92 and is reading up on quantum astronomy. Don’t let me kid you, I have no clue what that all entails. Dave tells me that when he was studying mechanical engineering that Marguerite read more of his text books than he did. She has encyclopaedias’ on mathematics and if she had been born 10 years later I am sure she would have been a Nobel prize nominee.
So, I have learnt that chai means tea and using the karha masala that goes into chai, I came up with an ice cream recipe. For the ice cream you can reduce the amount of masala you add, but as I made it very spicy, I sweetened it up with maple syrup – a perfect offset for the fiery ginger and warm cinnamon notes. This was enjoyed in milkshakes during our very hot summer days.
Chai Inspired Karha Ice Cream
- 290 mls milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 110 g fructose
- 30 mls karha masala
- 290 mls cream
- place the milk into a sauce pan and heat until just starting to boil
- while you are waiting for the milk to boil, beat the egg yolks and the fructose until you get to the ribbon stage
- pour half the milk onto the eggs, whisking all the time
- then pour the egg mix back into the milk and return to the stove
- stir continuously over a moderate heat until the mixture coats the back of a spoon
- mix in the masala and then pour through a sieve into a bowl
- mix in the cream and then churn in your ice cream maker