I did not think that there was a need for a popcorn recipe but the packet that I bought did not give me any hint on how to pop the corn and I was a bit clueless having only ever made it in the microwave. I have always been a label reader due to being sucrose intolerance but some things I just didn’t bother worrying about. That is, until I started my graduate course in nutrition. Now I am reading labels to see how much sodium is in the ready to go products I buy, not that there are many. Until I braved up and bought corn kernels to pop I never thought to look at what goes in to microwave popcorn. With one box left in the pantry and a craving taking place I decided to use the last box instead of making it from scratch, which is easy to do by the way! The ingredients listed are popcorn, vegetable oil (palm fruit), salt, flavouring (maltodextrin, modified starch, emulsifier, acidity regulator, preservative [potassium sorbate], BHA [Butylated hydroxyanisole], BHT [Butylated hydroxytoluene]). The nutritional value for a 50g serving of microwave box popcorn is: 199 calories, 5.2g protein, 25g carbohydrates, 7.5g fat, 4.7g dietary fibre and a whopping 209mg of sodium. Without the addition of any flavourings to the popcorn I made from scratch, the nutrition values are as follows : 194 calories, 6.5g protein, 39g carbohydrates, 2.3g fat, 7.2g dietary fibre and 4mg of sodium. You will see that the biggest difference here is the sodium.
Are you interested in the nutritional values of what you eat?
- 15 mls canola oil
- 50 g popcorn kernels
- Place the oil into a medium size pot that has a lid on a high heat
- When the oil is hot, place the popcorn kernels into the pot in a single layer
- Put the lid on and as soon as it start popping, turn the heat off
- Take off the stove as soon as you can see that most of the kernels have popped or if you don't have a glass lid, when the popping slows down
- Wait for 30 seconds and then give the pot a good shake
- Season straight away
What I blogged:
- one year ago – Grootbos
- two years ago – Theme Change
- three years ago – Friday’s Food Quiz Number 54
- four years ago – Friday’s Food Quiz Number 29