There is a saying, the gift that keeps on giving, which reared its ugly head when I started working on this recipe. I say ugly head, as the gift was not something positive and each time it gives back it is a negative experience for me. Frikkadels are a traditional South African dish, which I have blogged about before but the first time I made them I chose to leave off the cabbage leaves. I decided to use that recipe as a base for this Daring Cooks challenge and went and printed the recipe off with the confidence of knowing it works. Unfortunately, the recipe has been ‘attacked by a bug’ and so the ingredient list is not complete and the method does not relate to the ingredients at all! I really reworked the recipe to make these meatballs wrapped in cabbage and it resulted in a tasty supper and left over lunch for Dave and I. You have to be generous with the seasoning and these meatballs need to be served on a bed of rice or quinoa or even cous cous to soak up the tomato juice.
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan
- Add the shallots, garlic, ginger and chilli and sauté until the shallot is soft
- Remove and set aside and leave to cool
- Blanch the cabbage leaves in boiling water and refresh in ice water to stop the cooking process
- Pat dry
- Once the shallots are cool, add them to the beef together with the atchar, basil and a generous amount of seasoning
- Roll the meat into 10 equal sized balls
- Wrap each ball in a cabbage leaf
- Pour the tomatoes into an ovenproof dish that has a lid
- Season and add the fructose
- Gently place the cabbage balls into the tomatoes, opening side down
- Season the top of the cabbage balls
- Cook for 20 minutes in the preheated oven
Blog-checking lines: November’s Daring Cooks’ Challenge had us on a roll! Olga from http://www.effortnesslessly.blogspot.com/ challenged us to make stuffed cabbage rolls using her Ukrainian heritage to inspire us. Filled with meat, fish or vegetables, flexibility and creativity were the name of the game to get us rolling!
What I blogged:
I am on leave until the 6th of January and will reply to blog comments then.