I made this warm aubergine salad twice as the first lot of photographs did not do it justice. The second attempt also have me the opportunity to change up the recipe and make a dish I much preferred to the original.
DSTV had an offer 4 years ago that I took up. It was for a new decoder, dish and installation. I took the offer up, which locked me into a guaranteed price for 2 years. And I really scored on the deal as the price increases were way above what I was paying. 24 months after that, I took up the offer again, But this time without the installation. It was cheaper still and we now had two brand new decoders, both linked to the TV in our lounge. And the older decoder is also hooked up the the television in our home gym. This price locked deal came to an end at the beginning of March. In February they contacted me to take up another new decoder deal.
Today’s inspirational recipe from Lavender and Lime ♥ Warm Aubergine Salad ♥ #LavenderAndLime Click To Tweet
I explained that I wanted the deal without the decoder and was told someone would call me from that department. The next three calls I received were not from the division I needed to be chatting to. I spent the entire month trying to get a new subscription plan in place. That included me calling, sending private messages and emails. And despite my best efforts, no-one called me back. And then when I told the faceless person I was ‘chatting’ to I was going to take my bad service experience to social media, things changed. I was contacted straight away, changed to the new deal and everything was sorted out. I just cannot understand why bad service is the norm, and why social media seems to be the only way to correct it.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
Warm Aubergine Salad
For the dressing
- 60 mls olive oil
- 2 spring onions, white part only, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely diced
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 40 mls apple cider vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
For the salad
- 2 aubergines, thickly sliced
- olive oil for brushing
- chilli salt to season
- 20 g rocket leaves
- 2 tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 3 bocconcini, broken up
For the dressing
- Place the oil into a small saucepan and place over a medium temperature
- Heat for 3 minutes and then add the spring onions
- As soon as it start to sizzle, turn the heat off and add the garlic and rosemary
- Stir to combine and leave to infuse for 3 minutes
- Add the vinegar, season and set aside until needed
For the salad
- Place a griddle pan onto a high temperature
- When hot, brush one side of the aubergines and sprinkle with salt
- Place oil side down and cook for 3 minutes
- Brush the exposed side with oil, sprinkle with salt and then cook that side down for 3 minutes
- When all the slices are nicely charred and soft set aside
- Layer the rocket on the bottom of a serving dish and top with half of the aubergines
- Add the tomatoes and season well then top with the bocconcini
- Place the rest of the aubergines on top and pour over the salad dressing
- Serve straight away
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime May 11:
Do you use social media to make your voice heard?