Tomatoes to me are one of the most interesting fruits. As the saying goes, knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad. It is the one food item that gets better for you the longer you cook it. As Dave does not do the ‘go to the Doctor thing’ at all, I have vowed to make sure he eats well enough not to get any of the nasty’s. Lycopene in tomatoes is good for prostrate health, and the more you cook a tomato, the more the lycopene it contains. My body craves tomatoes in any form when I am about to get a sore throat and so I like to have on hand some tomato juice, some fresh tomatoes and lots of tinned tomatoes. When I saw this recipe I knew I could have another tomato fix waiting for me, the next time my body demands it.
- 20mls chilli oil
- 2 small onions, finely sliced
- 250g baby rosa tomatoes
- 50mls red wine vinegar
- 100mls sugar
- I used fructose
- salt and pepper to season
- heat the oil in a small pot
- add the onions and sauté until soft, without letting them colour
- add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 20 minutes
- transfer to a sterilized glass jar while hot
- refrigerate once opened
Click on the links for conversions and notes.