As my chillies are abundant I set a chilli challenge for the Something Savoury category and decided to follow the recipe I have from the IDEAS August 2007 magazine. I did not use jalapeños, but the small and very hot chillies I grow and this sauce is sweet and hot and will keep wonderfully well in the fridge. If I make it again, I will substitute arrow root for the cornflour to make the sauce more clear – but the cornflour is cooked out, so you will not get the taste of it in the sauce.
- melt the butter in a pan and sauté the chillies and the garlic without allowing them to change colour
- mix the cornflour with the sugar, vinegar and water
- add the chilli and garlic and mix well
- return to the heat and bring to the boil
- remove as soon as the mixture begins to thicken
- Place into sterilized glass jars
Click on the links for conversions and notes.