This black bean salsa can be made using tinned beans. Or you can cook them from scratch.
I loathe the word diet, and really believe that a change to our eating thoughts and plans make a far better long term difference than dieting. Here are a few hints and tips:
- have your first meal within 90 minutes of waking up
- start your day with fruit and to make it a complete meal add yoghurt, sunflower seeds, wheatgerm, raisins etc. Do not eat fruit after a meal
- have muesli, granola or cereal as your mid morning snack
- for lunch eat bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, or any other starchy food and do not have protein with your starch
- for a mid afternoon snack have a handful of nuts
- for supper eat protein and accompany this meal with vegetables in the form of salads etc.
disclaimer – I am not a dietitian, this is our eating regime which works for us!
Since we have changed our eating habits to not include starch at night with our protein meal, I have been using a lot of beans. We have been eating beans in many forms and one of them is as a mash. My dad was really impressed with the mash, but my mother was more impressed that I was eating beans. This has always been one ingredient on my I will not eat list since I was a child. My mom sent me a recipe for a bean salsa which I am sharing with you – she used red beans to make hers. I chose to use up the last of the black beans I had in my pantry as Dave does not particularly like the way they colour the food when I cook with them. You can however use any beans you like.
do you eat beans?
Black Bean Salsa Recipe
- 250 mls whole beans, soaked overnight and cooked until al dente or 1 tin of beans
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- ½ red or yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 whole spring onion, sliced
- 1 corn on the cob, corn removed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- 1.25 mls ground cumin
- 1 lemon, zest only
- ½ lemon, juice only
- Generous handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl
- Add the juice of the other half of the lemon if you need to
- Adjust the seasoning
- Serve cold