Butter cream is the perfect filling for a sponge cake. It can also be used to ice cupcakes. The key to making this icing is to ensure the egg mixture is completely cold before adding it to the butter, otherwise the butter will split.
The term generosity when linked to food has been popping up all over the place. I have heard it mentioned by Marco Pierre White when dishing up savoury dishes. And by Nigella Lawson when talking about food in general. And then my blogging friend Fiona spoke about it in a comment she left for me. I think it is such a great thing to keep in mind when cooking. And of course when baking. For some people there can never be such a thing as too much icing. What would a cake be without a perfectly decadent layer of frosting? When I made my decorated Swiss roll I chose to make a butter cream to fill it. I was generous with the butter cream as well as the blueberries to ensure it was a perfect dessert. But generosity should not only be about food.
What about being generous with our words. I am having quite an issue with this as it is in my nature to be gentle with my words. But recently I am finding this a struggle with one person. Every message I get is rude or abrupt. Everything is being made my fault and I am not reacting in a good way. I start off in my reply being nice but by the time we are into the third part of the conversation I have lost my kindness. As soon as the blame is shifted to me for something I have not done I get upset. My heart starts pounding and I need to reach for the Rescue Remedy. I try to remain gentle in my response when all I want to do is cry. Oh, and dip my fingers right into a bowl of this butter cream for some sweetness.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
- 225 g butter
- 250 g caster sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 100 mls cream
- Put the butter into a stand mixer bowl and beat using a K beater until soft
- Place the caster sugar and egg yolks into a mixing bowl and whisk to a ribbon stage
- Add the cream and whisk until smooth
- Place the bowl over a bain-marie and whisk until frothy
- Remove from the heat and continue whisking until cold
- Slowly add to the butter with the mixer on a slow setting, until combined
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime November 25:
- 2015 – The Scran & Scallie
- 2013 – Candied Orange Peel
- 2012 – Interview With Justine Drake
- 2011 – Chocolate Brownies
- 2010 – 10 Foodie Questions