These date bars are made using raw ingredients and are perfect for when you are craving something sweet but want it to be healthy as well.
A small little part of me is not feeling the blog love this month. It is the part that issued a challenge with prizes that has been totally ignored that has made me feel just a little bit sad this month. I seem to not be succeeding with some ventures I am trying, and I am feeling slightly underwhelmed by everything. I know this sounds like a pity party but I am not that type of person. I really do try to find something positive in all the things that happen on a day to basis, even when they are VERY bad. I even have a daily gratitude to remind me I have so many things to be grateful for. And today, I am going to have to concentrate on that a lot. Last night while we were at the Harvest Dinner at Vergenoegd the charm bracelet Dave gave me, with a charm for each year we have been married came off my arm! I am very tearful this morning about losing something so precious to me. So, here is a whole post dedicated to some of the things I am grateful for.
I am grateful for:
- a loving husband who cares about me all the time
- a roof over my head, a bed to sleep in and food to eat and share
- a car so that I can get to work and back
- a job that allows me to employ other people
- friends who love me and phone just at the right time
- blog friends who leave me amazing comments
- family who count every moment
Actually, I could go on and on – but I won’t. I will share one more thing I am grateful for. I have a friend who has been a part of my life for 30 years! She lives on the other side of the world and we stay in touch via email and phone. She has been a constant in my life, and we have been through a lot together. When she heard I was going to make a raw dessert she sent me an email straight away with a recipe. I am grateful to her for that, as I can share it with all of you. These date bars are fantastic and make a really healthy alternative snack. Now, I only wish I had bought them to work as I am starving!
This was originally published on the 23rd of March 2012 – in the uploading of my old blog to my new one, this post did not transfer properly and I lost the post as well as the 37 comments.
- 130 g raw almonds
- 75 g raw cashews
- 250 g dried dates, pitted
- 65 g desiccated coconut
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 1.25 mls flaked salt
- 15 g raw honey
- 90 mls coconut oil
- Grease and line a square biscuit tin with baking paper
- Add the nuts to a food processor and chop for 8 seconds
- Set aside
- Add the dates, coconut, cocoa, salt and honey and chop for 30 seconds
- Return the nuts to the bowl, add the coconut oil and mix for 20 seconds or until mixture has a shiny appearance
- Empty the mixture into the prepared tin and press down with the back of a spoon to create a flat surface
- Using a knife, mark lines one way and then the other, to create squares
- Refrigerate until solid
- When solid remove from the tin and break into squares