Hailing from Lebanon, a fattoush is a bread salad. Mediterranean vegetables, such as tomatoes, radishes and cucumbers are added to the stale flatbread. Herbs are integral to this salad, as well as sumac to add a slightly sour taste.
Dave and I got our passports back from the Italian Consulate 3 weeks before we were due to fly. The first thing I did was open them to check whether we had been granted a Visa. Dave’s Visa is shorter than mine as his passport expires next year. This is going to be a whole lot of fun in future when we apply for Visa’s until we catch up with one another. We got none of our paperwork back from the Consulate so I needed to print our flight confirmation. I accessed our booking through the airlines website and paid no attention to what was there. All I did was copy and paste the flight details into a Word document to edit and print. While I was editing the confirmation I noticed that they had out first outbound flight on the 14th of September with a layover of 48 hours.
We had booked our flights with a layover of just over 2 hours so needless to say I was unimpressed. Up until July I had only heard good reports about Ethiopian Airlines. But then my friend Garth experienced a delay on the second leg of his outward journey. He stayed in a shoddy hotel in a dodgy area. And a month later my friend Louise had the second flight of her inbound journey delayed. And again, another hotel stay that was not positive. Not something I would endure for 2 days! Thankfully the person who I spoke to at the call centre was most understanding about the fact that we had to be in Rome on the morning of the 15th. We had an onward flight to Sicily that could not be changed. If you are read my holiday blog you will find out if all went to plan.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
- 210 g large tomatoes, diced *
- 50 g radishes, thinly sliced
- 125 g Mediterranean cucumbers, diced *
- 1 yellow pepper, quartered, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 25 g pickled red onions
- 15 g mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 30 g flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 15 g coriander, roughly chopped
- 125 g flatbread, roughly torn up
for the dressing
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 45 mls lemon juice
- 60 mls olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 30 mls apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- Sumac to garnish
- Place the tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers, pepper, and onions into a large bowl
- Toss and then add the herbs and flatbread
- Mix together and then make the dressing
for the dressing
- Place the garlic, lemon juice, oil and vinegar into a small mixing bowl
- Season generously and whisk to combine
- Pour over the salad and set aside for at least 10 minutes to combine
- Adjust the seasoning, garnish with olive oil and a generous amount of sumac and serve
Dave and I are overseas in Italy. We will be back at work on the 1st of October. I will start replying to comments then. I won’t be able to read any blogs while we are away so please forgive my lack of visiting back. You can follow our trip by taking a look at our holiday blog.