The daring cooks challenge this month was to make a bread soup. I don’t have a Spanish recipe book in my house other than one for tapas and so I turned to the internet for some help. I found this recipe from Dan Lepard and as my blog friend Claire has had great success with his recipes I decided his would be the one I would use. I had no expectations as to what the soup would taste like or look like as I have never tried a soup of this nature before. I think I made one error though when making this soup. The recipe called for 750mls of liquid and would serve 4. As I was making the soup for just the two of us, I reduced the quantity to 500mls. It resulted in quite a thick soup. It was really tasty though and I can well imagine that for a farmer coming in from the fields at lunch time, this garlic soup would go down a treat. I served it with some pork rashers that Dave had done on the braai (BBQ). Dan suggests adding bacon or salt cod to the soup and so the rashers were a perfect addition to our meal. I was also amazed at how my zopako bread completely dissolved as I stirred in the eggs.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on a low heat
- Add the chillies and garlic and sauté until the garlic turns golden
- Increase the heat to medium high and add the bread
- Once the bread has soaked up the oil, leave it to brown, turning occasionally
- Add the paprika and as soon as you can smell it, pour in the tomato, pepper pulp and chicken stock
- Season to taste and leave to simmer for 20 minutes
- Bring to the boil, stir in the eggs and serve hot
Blog-checking lines: Our November Daring Cooks’ hostess was Begoña, who writes the beautiful blog, Las recetas de Marichu y las mías. Begoña is from Spain and didn’t want to go with the more common challenges of paella or gazpacho, she wanted to share with us another very popular recipe from Spain that we don’t see as often called Sopa Castellana which is a delicious bread soup!
What I blogged:
- one year ago – Food and Wine Bloggers Indaba
- two years ago – Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
- three years ago – Friday’s Food Quiz