I adapted this recipe for honey chocolate cake from Happy Retiree’s Kitchen. I have made it a few times and really love how it turned out.
It is an old wives’ tale that you must feed a cold and starve a fever, as you need to feed both. However, it might very well be true that you can treat a cold in 6 days with medication, or half a dozen, without. I can remember my grandmother saying that. I treated my head cold with over the counter medication for a week. And when that had no effect I saw my Doctor. He prescribed medication and after a week I felt no different. I was not feeling sick which was a good thing. With my second vaccine due I had to go off all the medication and so the following week was spent taking nothing. And the end result was the same! I feel no better, or no worse than before. I can consider myself lucky that it is nothing more than congested nasal passages.
Today’s inspirational recipe from Lavender and Lime ♥ Honey Chocolate Cake ♥ #LavenderAndLime Click To Tweet
But, it is extremely frustrating regardless of what it is. I am keeping the tissue manufacturer in business. And because of this I am coughing. It is a reflex action which I could stifle with sucking sweets. But I am not very disciplined and tend to just chew them. Which of course does not have the desired effect. I am just going to carry on as normal and hope in time that this all clears. And that it does not get any worse. As an aside, I have been keeping track of my oxygen saturation levels with a pulse oximeter. This is to ensure that what my Doctor says is just a head cold, is just that. Have you had a head cold this winter?
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
Honey Chocolate Cake
- 300 g salted butter
- 170 g thick yoghurt
- 150 g honey
- 100 g fructose
- 5 mls vanilla extract
- 1 orange, finely grated zest only
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 130 g flour
- 130 g self-raising flour
- 5 mls baking powder
- 200 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Place the butter, yoghurt, honey, fructose, vanilla and zest into a saucepan
- Leave over a low to medium temperature until the butter melts, stirring occasionally
- Pour into a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool for 45 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 180° Celsius
- Whisk the eggs into the cooled butter mixture
- Sift the flours and baking powder into the bowl and gently fold in
- Add the chocolate and gently mix, then pour into a lined 23cm springform tin
- Place into the oven and bake for 60 minutes
- Remove from the oven and leave to stand in the tin for 10 minutes
- Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely before cutting
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime September 20: