Now that we have made the vanilla purée we can make some pastry cream. I have made this for the Soufflé challenge, but it can of course be used for many other desserts – including Éclairs! The recipe is adapted from Raymond Blanc.
Crème Patissière | Pastry Cream
- 500 mls milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 50 g fructose, plus extra for sprinkling
- 5 mls vanilla purée
- 80 g plain flour
- In a medium size saucepan bring the milk to the boil
- Place the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla into a a large mixing bowl and whisk
- Add the flour and whisk in to incorporate fully
- Gradually add the milk while whisking continuously
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and over a medium heat, bring to the boil.
- Whisk constantly for 1 minute, to achieve a smooth consistency
- Immediately pour into a glass bowl and sprinkle caster sugar over the top to prevent a skin forming
- Leave to cool and then cover with cling film and refrigerate until needed