This recipe for Vanilla Purée is from Raymond Blanc and I can highly recommend that you make this yourself to ensure the best quality one.
I had a jar of store bought Vanilla Paste which was very rich, and full of added ‘extras’ including Xantham Gum and Alcohol. As it was expensive, I used it up. Finally I got to the end of the jar and made this vanilla purée. The thickness is determined by how thick you let your sugar syrup get. It may seem expensive, but considering it consists of only 3 ingredients, you know you are getting something fantastic. I re-used the jar that the store bought vanilla paste came in as you can see here from the photograph.
- 60g sugar - I used fructose
- 60mls water
- 6 whole vanilla pods
- Place the sugar and water into a small sauce pan
- Over a medium temperature, dissolve the sugar while stirring
- Increase the temperature slightly and bring to a boil
- Reduce the temperature and simmer until you have a thick syrup
- Set aside to cool
- Place the vanilla pods into a blender and chop
- Add the syrup and purée until smooth
- Place into a sterilized glass jar
Click on the links for conversions and notes.