We live about 30 minutes boat ride from where the crayfish (rock lobster) breed and during our very limited season we go out and collect our quota of 4 per person. I like to freeze the tails to use during the course of the year when we have guests. We usually steam the heads and Dave and I will have these for supper. One Saturday I asked Dave to set aside some heads for me so that I could make a crayfish stock. Nothing is better than your own home made stocks and I will use this one for risotto and in my bouillabaisse recipe which you will see next month on my blog. If you don’t have crayfish heads readily available, substitute them with fish heads.
Do you make your own stock?
- Put all the ingredients into a large pot
- Cover with water and bring to the boil
- Skim off any scum that comes to the surface
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes
- Remove the heads making sure to drain the stock out of them back into the pot
- Return to the boil and remove any scum
- Pass through a chinois and use as required
- May be frozen or kept in the refrigerator for 3 days
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
What I blogged: