Masala is the Asian term for a spice mix which is usually a combination of dry roasted dried spices. I don’t think one could find an Indian dish without the use of a masala and here I have created a fish masala which you can use on any fish that you want to add some curry spicing to.
It is amazing how sometimes your dreams become a part of what is happening around you when you sleep. I very seldom dream and when I do, they are very involved and convoluted. The other night I dreamt that our friend Nico had bought a new house right on the beach. Every summer Dave and Nico go fishing together and in my dream Nico had decided that this new house would be for these months so that he could tie his boat up right next to it. The building was an elaborate complex of apartments, a restaurant and coffee shop, and the house attached to all of these. The communal garden was flanked on one side by a parking lot, the other by the multi-level apartments, and facing the beach and the garden was Nico’s house. I was busy helping with the placement of all the furniture and Nico was on the phone to me telling me what to do. As we were talking his iPad pinged, and would not stop. That was in my dream, but in reality, our alarm was chiming as something crossed over the one beam. The chimes turned in to the alarm which woke me up with my heart pounding. I cannot imagine Nico will ever move as his house is already as close to the beach as possible, and his boat is moored at the harbour. But I must have been thinking about Nico as earlier on in the day I had made up a recipe for fish masala and added it to some angel fish he had bought over for our dinner.
- Place the coriander, cumin and fennel seeds into a dry frying pan
- Lightly toast on a medium temperature
- Add the cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, cardamom and chilli
- Continue to toast until you can smell the cinnamon
- Add the curry and bay leaves and toast for a further minute
- Add the turmeric and ginger and as soon as you can smell the ginger remove from the heat
- Place into a spice grinder together with the lemon zest
- Grind until fine
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
What I blogged June 23:
- two years ago – Whole Wheat Bread
- three years ago – The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul
- five years ago – Guacamole Burgers
- six years ago – Lavender And Lime