Snoek is a locally caught fish which exists in abundance. It is a well known Cape linefish and is available seasonally. Barracouta is the same fish but is caught in New Zealand. The sad thing is that one of the local fish mongers is selling the New Zealand fish as apposed to our locally caught snoek. In keeping with my regional, local support philosophy, I will not buy the imported version. When snoek is available we braai it. They are fairly large, and so for two of us, there is always left overs. This snoek was given to us by a friend, and we had it for a braai with a friend of ours. This left me enough left overs to make a snoek pie.
- shredded snoek - at least 250mls per person substitute with any fish!
- 125 g watercress wilted
- 1 egg per person medium boiled
- 1 portion white sauce
- buttered mashed potatoes
- Parmesan cheese for garnishing
- preheat the oven to 180° Celsius
- flake the snoek and place into an oven proof dish
- quarter the eggs and place them on top of the snoek
- place the watercress in the gaps
- pour over the white sauce
- cover with the mashed potatoes
- grate over the Parmesan cheese
- bake for 25 minutes