We eat a lot of snoek, which needs something to accompany it. We do not use jam when we braai the snoek so I get the sweet, tart taste from this lovely gooseberry sauce I make. It is an easy, quick, simple sauce. To read more about snoek, click here. A braai is better known around the world as a barbecue (or for my Aussie friends, a barby). Gooseberries must be one of the easiest plants to grow. Next time you buy fresh gooseberries just leave one to get very ripe. Then dig a small hole where you would like the plant to go and squeeze the seeds into the hole. Cover it up, water and watch your gooseberry bush flourish.
- 125g gooseberries, cut in half
- 5g butter
- 5mls sugar I used fructose
- 15mls balsamic reduction
- melt the butter, just to get the bottom of your pan slightly 'oiled'
- add the gooseberries and as soon as they start cooking, add the vinegar
- reduce until you get a sticky, thick consistency
Click on the links for conversions and notes.