The first most trusted person in my life is Dave. He is the one who goes out and catches crayfish for me to experiment with. I tried curing the crayfish using my sous vide bags but it was not a huge success. To rescue it I placed it into the sous vide cooker and was pleased with the outcome. This resulted in me creating a confit crayfish recipe which will yield the perfectly cooked crayfish time and time again.
I think the second most trusted person in a woman’s life is her hair dresser. Since moving to Gordons Bay in 2001 I have had numerous stylists attempt to cut my hair. I have plenty crowns and very thick hair so it is not an easy task. Finally I found a hair dresser who was really good. But she moved back to Johannesburg meaning I had to find someone new. At that time, Dave had an engineer working for him. His wife is a hair dresser and so out of a feeling of loyalty I went to her. She was super expensive and cut my hair far too short. Luckily for me I could stop seeing her without it becoming an issue as she went on maternity leave. For the past 3 years I have been having my hair cut at someone who is excellent at their work.
Then she was in a car accident and has taken time off. And on top of that, her salon is for sale. I had a hair cut booked not knowing about the sale. But I knew she would not be there to work her magic. Instead I ended up with someone else. I told her that it did not matter if she messed up as it would regrow. But, she cut my hair shorter than it has been for years. I had to rescue the situation when she got to my fringe as I need it long enough to cover the scar on my forehead. This short cut means I will have to go back sooner than planned for a colour. But at least the length between cuts will be longer.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
- 2 crayfish tails cleaned and out of the shell
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- 15 g butter plus extra for the pan
- 1 sprig tarragon
- Zest of 1 lime
- Season your crayfish tails and place into a sous vide bag
- Add the butter, tarragon and lime zest to the bag
- Vacuum Seal and place into a sous vide cooker that is at 51º C
- Cook for 30 minutes then remove from the cooker
- Remove the crayfish from the bag
- Heat some butter in a frying pan and when hot add the crayfish tails
- Cook for 30 seconds per side just to add some colour