My vegan meal was made slightly more complicated by the fact that the one guest was both sensitive to gluten and lactose. At first I had wanted to make my cous cous salad but as it is not gluten-free I adapted my recipe to make this quinoa salad.
I woke up on the morning of the 1st of January sick! And my first thought was that I hope the new year doesn’t carry on like the way it started. But only time, and another 11 months will tell. We had been out the night before for our annual old year’s eve braai. Each year we go to friends and have a late dinner. Some years we manage to see the new year in, but most of them we are home before midnight. I had very little to drink but I did indulge in the food. We started with octopus and a romesco sauce, then moved on to smoked pork ribs. We had that while Dave cooked a chicken and beef wors. It was the tiniest of chickens for 7 people and I had the carcass. This is my favourite part of the chicken to nibble on.
We were in bed before the fireworks signalled in 2019 and I fell asleep some time after that. I did not get a good night’s sleep and woke up before 6am feeling exhausted. At first I attributed it to the lack of sleep. But when I realized I had a stomach virus I knew that my body was tired from that. The stomach cramps were awful and I felt lethargic the entire day. This of course did not stop me from cleaning the house, doing dishes and a load of laundry. And following my set holiday routine of one recipe and one blog post. I suspect that the chicken had been left out of the fridge the entire day and with the temperature over 30° Celsius during the day it must have not been the best idea. My stomach is far too sensitive to that.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
- 190g quinoa
- 750mls water
- 7.5mls salt
- 60mls salad dressing
- 100g pomegranate arils
- 4 mini cucumbers, cut in half and thickly sliced
- 10 cocktail tomatoes, cut in half and thickly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- Place the quinoa, water and salt into a sauce pan and bring to the boil
- Cover, turn the heat off and leave to steam until all the water had been absorbed
- Tip into a large salad bowl and pour over the dressing
- Stir to combine before adding the pomegranate arils, cucumbers and tomatoes
- Season to taste and leave for at least 20 minutes for the flavours to absorb