Woolworths have just launched a new range of pork sausages and as we enjoyed these so much on our visit to England in 2009 I decided to try them. We always have a tomato and onion relish to go with sausages or boerewors and it is so easy to make. The photograph here does not do any justice to the taste. Being one of the most looked at recipes on my blog, this is sure to be a winner. Make it to serve with chicken or even hot dogs if you want. And if you cannot get fresh tomatoes, feel free to use tinned ones. The key to making this Tomato And Onion Relish is to leave it to cook until the onions are seriously soft. You want the tomatoes to be well cooked so that the skins all but melt in your mouth. You can add spices and heat in the form of chillies. For chillies we use Calabrian ones which are super spicy. I only use a tiny amount for my sensitive palate. But add as much as your taste buds allow. To me, ginger and tomatoes are a match made in heaven.
Tomato and Onion Relish
- 15 mls basil olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 5 mls sugar - I used fructose
- 125 g tomatoes sliced
- 2.5 cm root ginger peeled and crushed in the garlic crusher
- a splash of balsamic vinegar reduction - I use a flavoured one!
- heat the oil and add the onions and the sugar
- fry on a low heat until the onions are very well cooked but not burnt!
- add the tomatoes and the ginger
- as soon as the tomatoes start to break down add the balsamic vinegar
- serve and enjoy!