This is another way I use up my left over snoek from when we braai. You can use any left over fish so there is no need to limit yourself to snoek.
- 15g butter, melted
- breadcrumbs for coating
- 100g warm béchamel sauce
- 175g egg whites (about 5)
- the egg yolks from the whites
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- left over snoek, flaked
- Preheat the oven to 170? Celsius with a baking tray on the middle shelf (this is important so that the Soufflés can get a kick start when you put them in the oven, and to make getting them out easier)
- use a pastry brush to butter the inside of 4 Soufflé dishes 10cm across x 7cm high
- sprinkle the breadcrumbs into the dishes and rotate until the butter is completely coated, shake out the excess
- over a bain-marie mix together the béchamel and the egg yolks and keep it warm (use a bigger bowl than you think you need!)
- add the lemon juice to the egg whites
- whisk the egg whites until they are firm but not too stiff (this will take longer than whisking egg whites with sugar)
- whisk a quarter of the egg whites into the base until smooth - do this off the heat!
- using a spatula fold in the balance of the egg whites
- place the flaked snoek on the bottom of the soufflé dish
- fill to the top with the base mixture and smooth off with a palette knife
- thumb the edge
- bake for 10 - 12 minutes
Click on the links for conversions and notes.