Inspired by Gentleman’s Relish, I made anchovy paste. Using anchovies, butter and spices this is a great spread.
The Western Cape is still in the grips of a drought and our water restrictions continue. One of the suggestions I heard was to turn the shower colder than you like the temperature to be. This would not work for me as I need the shower to be really hot. To keep to our water allocation we can use 20L of water in our shower. This is calculated at 10L per minute for 2 minutes at full pressure. Our shower head has a flow rate of 8.5L per minute at full pressure. As it is really cold in our bathroom I have found a solution to use less water, but have a longer shower. I turn the pressure so low that there is barely a trickle of water coming out. And I make the water hotter than I would like it to be.
I am in and out within 5 minutes. I still end my shower with a burst of cold water to acclimatize to the ambient temperature. And I have loads of buckets to collect as much water as possible for recycling. Dave and I have managed to keep our usage to below 174L per day at home. This is great news for us as we no longer have a free allocation of water. And we are well within the target usage which took a lot of reorganizing. I am sure these habits will stick with us when the drought lifts. Not having free water will hopefully make more people aware of their usage. Wanting to take advantage of something I received free, I made anchovy paste. The aim was to make Patum Peperium but my home-made version is not quite strong enough.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
- 250 g anchovies drained
- 150 g soft butter cubed
- 10 g fresh white bread crumbs
- 1.25 mls cayenne pepper
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- A few rasps of freshly ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground ginger
- A couple of twists of freshly ground black pepper
- Place the anchovies and butter into a blender and process until smooth
- Add the bread crumbs, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and black pepper
- Mix to combine and then transfer to a container
- Place into the fridge to set slightly before serving
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime September 18:
- 2016 – The Thomas Berryman Number
- 2014 – Oregano Oil
- 2013 – Recipe Developing And Writing
- 2011 – How To Sterilize Glass Jars And Bottles
- 2010 – Dried Shrimp Relish