Life Kitchen have been teaching this recipe for Mint And Pea Carbonara since their very first class. According to Ryan, pancetta, parmesan and peas bring that sought-after umami hit, while mint leaves and chilli wake up the senses. Mint has a cooling affect and is a trigeminal stimulant. By adding it to a dish it offers piquancy which is especially good for those with a diminished sense of smell. Since first tasting this combination, I have started adding mint to more of our savoury dishes.
I have flown countless airlines over the years and for the most part, they are all the same. And that is mainly because I travel economy class. And a seat is just a seat. A plane is a way of getting somewhere and in my opinion, the quicker the better. So when we book to go to Europe we always look at the airline that has the shortest total flight duration. For our December trip to Croatia this turned out to be Turkish Airlines. As we have always wanted to visit Istanbul we decided to combine the two trips into one. Our plan was to spend two full days in Istanbul and fly early morning to Croatia to meet my parents. Five weeks ago, our flight from Istanbul to Zagreb was cancelled. The airline didn’t automatically book us on an alternative flight. Nor could I make the changes online.
Today’s inspirational recipe from Lavender and Lime ♥ Mint And Pea Carbonara ♥ #LavenderAndLime Click To Tweet
I had to phone their call centre to book a new flight. As Dave and I are flying together, on the same booking reference I gave the lady that information. As English is not her first language, it took some time to get the message across that we wanted to book for the Friday night. After a lengthy conversation and fact checking she asked if she must make the changes for both passengers, or just for myself. I don’t think she understood the humour when I told her I wanted Dave to come with me to Croatia. It took half an hour to go through the entire process. And the call ended with her telling me she would call back once the changes were made. I certainly hope she can do so otherwise I am not sure how we will get to Croatia in order for us to fly home.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
Mint And Pea Carbonara
- 15 mls olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 100 g diced smoked bacon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- 10 mls salt
- 2 eggs
- 60 g parmesan, grated, divided
- 180 g dried tagliatelle
- 60 g frozen peas
- 125 mls pasta water
- 5 g fresh mint, leaves picked and chopped
- Pour the olive oil into a large sauté pan and heat over a medium temperature
- Add the onion and sauté until soft
- Add the garlic and chilli and continue to cook for 1 minute
- Add the bacon, season and reduce the temperature
- Cover with a lid, or foil, and leave to sauté for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and add 50g parmesan
- Add seasoning and whisk until the eggs are completely slackened
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil then add the salt
- Cook the tagliatelle for 2 minutes less than the packet instructions
- Measure out the pasta water and add it to the eggs, whisking to combine
- Add the peas and when the cooking time is up, drain the pasta and the peas
- Tip these into the frying pan and mix into the onions
- Then add the eggs and stir to combine until the sauce is glossy and the pasta is nicely coated
- Serve garnished with the leftover parmesan and mint
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime November 18:
Have you flown Turkish Airlines? And have you had to cancel or change a flight with them? How would you rate your experience?