This mushroom and chicken soup is comfort in a bowl. If you are on a tight budget it is perfect as mushrooms are not an expensive ingredient. I have made this recipe for 2 people easy to scale up so you can make enough for the freezer.
I am sitting at work, counting my blessings! A close friend of mine works in the tourism industry. It is a business she runs with her husband, and they are without work while travel is not happening in the country. Another dear friend has had to retrench staff to make sure her business stays open. I know people who have had their salaries reduced, and overtime cancelled. And other friends whose hours have been cut back together with their pay. My beautician did not work for 81 days and earned nothing in that entire time. We had to shut our doors for four weeks, and other than our annual shutdown, we have not missed a day of work since opening. I was lucky in that I had savings to see me through the month. And to be sure I could pay my staff, I applied for a Solidarity Fund loan.
Today’s inspirational recipe from Lavender and Lime ♥ Mushroom And Chicken Soup ♥ #LavenderAndLime Click To Tweet
This came through and with work resuming full time in May, I felt a sense of relief. But it is nothing compared to the feeling I have now. Dave and I in our individual businesses have been very busy at work – long may it last. I have set aside the money I borrowed from the bank into an interest bearing account. I will hold on to this until the loan is due as it is interest free. My savings are back to where they were before hard lockdown. And I have a new plan of action. My aim is to put aside one month’s expenses into a seperate account. I am also trying to spread the blessings by supporting small restaurants and coffee shops. I am taking my friends out for lunch as a treat for them. And I am helping a business (hopefully) stay open.
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
Mushroom And Chicken Soup
- 5 mls olive oil
- 6 g butter
- 40 g spring onions, white parts only, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 130 g chicken fillets, cubed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- 200 g mushrooms, sliced
- 10 g flour
- 400 mls chicken stock
- 1.25 mls dried thyme
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 50 mls milk
- 5 g fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- crusty bread for serving
- Place the olive oil and butter into a non stick frying pan and heat over a medium temperature
- Add the spring onions and sauté until soft
- Add the garlic, carrot and celery and sauté until soft
- Add the chicken and season well and cook until browned
- Add the mushrooms and stir to combine
- Sprinkle the flour over the top and add the stock, thyme, cloves, bay leaf and milk
- Mix to combine and then leave to simmer for 20 minutes
- Adjust the seasoning, add the parsley and serve with crusty bread
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime September 23:
Do you have separate savings accounts for different things?