Part 2 of this week’s #MissionSamsung challenge was titled baking bliss and we were tasked to give in to our sweet tooth and make decadent cookies. We had to do this using the Smart Cook Feature of the Samsung Smart Oven.
This feature has a multitude of pre programmed cooking times which means you do not need to set either the cooking times or the power level. It is as simple as opening the door, placing the dish into to the oven, closing the door, selecting the programme and pushing start. You can use this feature for auto reheat as well as auto cook. When I was reading up how to use the cookie feature, I saw that there was an auto cook programme for croissants. By pure coincidence I had taken croissants out of the freezer for breakfast and so I decided to test drive this feature before I tackled my biscuit making. I placed the croissants on to the crusty plate and set it on the low rack. I left the kitchen to get ready for the day and after the first lot of time, they were not quite ready. The recommended weight is 150 – 300g and I had not weighed mine. I repeated the programme which took a total of 23 minutes. This feature determines the cooking mode by detecting the surface temperature of the food. I think I left the croissants in for a minute too long and had I been in the kitchen I would have seen the remaining cooking time begin its count down and I could have therefore checked on the croissants.
For the challenge I chose to make sablé biscuits as these are a cookie I have wanted to try out for quite some time now as they look really easy to make. Using the Smart Cook feature 100g of biscuit dough takes 10 minutes from start to finish. It certainly takes out the need to preheat the oven and wait for that and I found that part of the feature fantastic. I love that you can just pop the cookie dough into the oven when it is cold, press a few buttons and walk away until the oven beeps.
- 250 g flour
- 125 g butter
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 125 g sugar - I used fructose
- 2.5 mls lemon extract
- Place the flour and the butter into a large bowl
- Rub together until combined
- Add the egg, sugar and extract
- Knead together quickly and shape into a ball
- Place the dough into a lightly floured bowl
- Cover with cling film and place the bowl into the fridge for 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface
- Roll out to 5mm thick
- Cut with a cookie cutter
- Place the cookies onto a lined baking tray
- Bake for 12 minutes
- Cool on a wire rack
Disclosure: I was provided with the Samsung Smart Oven to use for this challenge. This post is in line with my blogging policy.
What I blogged:
- one year ago – Sourdough Chocolate Cherry Cake
- two years ago – Using Social Media To Build Your Blog Brand
- three years ago – Ras El Hanout Chicken
- four years ago – Friday’s Food Quiz