I have posted this recipe on my food24 blog and it does not work if you tweak it too much, as my friend Zabwan discovered. I was not going to use this recipe again for the challenge, as the aim is to make something new. But, yesterday I tried a recipe from the Vital Club Magazine. The recipe was submitted by Madre van Zyl and appeared in the First Quarter 2007 edition. The salt is so overpowering in the recipe that my stomach would turn if I had to eat the dried fruit oak cookies for breakfast. I was tempted to do a reposting of my granola recipe as it is great, but as I know these berry bars work I am giving you the recipe. I usually use sour cherries, but cranberries will work just as well.
- 250g butter
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 150g castor sugar - I used fructose
- 250g oats
- 100g dried berries
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 4 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 6 tablespoons raisins
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Line a Swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- Melt the butter with the honey and castor sugar in a saucepan
- add this to the dry ingredients
- Mix well, spoon into the tray and level the surface
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20 minutes
- Leave to cool right down before cutting
- Store in an airtight container
Click on the links for conversions and notes.