This month for The Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned Christine’s Kitchen Chronicles. Christine’s real life job is as an engineer and she comes from a family of cooks. Even though she only started cooking at college, you can find a lot of diverse recipes on her blog. Christine’s dog Toby looks like it would be right at home in my kitchen as well! Christine still has Africa on her list of places to visit so I hope she will appreciate having a South African on her list of visitors to her blog. In choosing my recipe I clicked on the American tag as this is one type of cuisine I don’t do much of. I chose the chicken and roasted root vegetable pot pie after much searching through all her recipes. I used up some of my leftover pastry as my freezer needs a good clean out. I also adapted the recipe to suit our palates and our diet. It was only when I went onto my own blog to see how long to cook the pastry for that I saw I had already posted a recipe for chicken pot pie, and it was a SRC reveal recipe as well. Please pop in to see this recipe as I can really recommend it. The gravy is truly awesome. I used chicken stock as my poaching liquid and my choice of vegetables were butternut, carrots and fennel bulb. If I do this again I am going to blind bake the bottom layer of pastry first to make it extra crunchy.
So, with half a day left of leave I knew I had the time to make a second recipe. I decided to make muffins as this is something we can eat at work for a lunch time treat. As we both train quite extensively we need something to get us through the gym sessions. I chose the orange berry muffins as I did not think it would be a problem getting buttermilk, and I had one orange in the fridge that needed to be used up, as well as some frozen berries which I purchased for a photo prop. Sadly, our local store did not have buttermilk but I decided to make them using yoghurt and see how they turned out. They were super moist and stayed fresh the entire week. This will be a must have recipe to work with for me and I will make variations during the year to keep us well fed before gym.
Do you eat before exercising?
- 75g sugar - I used fructose
- 265g flour
- 12.5mls baking powder
- 1.25mls bicarbonate of soda
- 1.25mls salt
- 130g frozen berries
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange – mine yielded 125mls
- 115g plain yoghurt
- 2 large eggs
- 45mls honey
- 120g butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius
- Line a muffin tray
- Put the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl
- Using a spoon, gently mix in the berries
- Place the orange zest and juice into a measuring bowl
- Make up to 250mls with the yoghurt
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time
- Whisk in the honey and butter
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients
- Mix in gently with a spoon until the flour is just combined
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tray
- Bake for 25 minutes until the tops are golden and a cake tester comes out clean
- Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
What I blogged:
- one year ago – Friday’s Food Quiz Number 21
- two years ago – Something Savoury Challenge To Use Chillies And A Give Away
To see more posts from click the linky below