This recipe for Pasta Tomato Sauce is featured in Lavender & Lime, the recipe book I wrote over 10 years ago. I wrote the recipe book as a way of sharing recipes with my family. My sister lives overseas and my cousins are in Johannesburg and London. I am the keeper of many a family recipe, and I cannot just pop over to cook with them. Cooking together as a family is so important and it is something I really miss. This pasta saice is perfect for making in bulk and freezing when needed. You can use an ice tray to freeze small portions to use for pasta for a child’s portion, or for adding some extra zing to a ragù sauce.
Pasta Tomato Sauce
- 15 mls olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 800 g canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 10 mls dried basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 125 mls red wine
- A splash of red wine vinegar
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the garlic.
- As soon as you can smell the garlic add the tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper.
- Add the wine and vinegar.
- Simmer for at least an hour.
- Using the back of a wooden spoon break apart the tomatoes.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve.