Nothing beats using a real stock. I buy ready made stocks to use in an emergency but I know that home made is better. This challenge saw the stock first boiling over and meant I had to clean the stove. And then, the tuffy bag did not seal properly and the stock leaked out, all over the floor behind the stove. Which meant a lot of moving and cleaning.
- heat the butter and the oil in a large pot
- sauté the onion, leeks, carrots and celery
- toss to coat the vegetables, place the lid on the pot and cook for 2 minutes
- top up the pot with cold water to ensure a clear stock
- bring to the boil and skim the surface of any scum
- reduce the heat and add the balance of the ingredients - be very generous with the seasoning
- simmer for at least 1 hour
- pass the liquid through a sieve and gently press the solids to extract all the liquid
- refrigerate or freeze when cooled
Click on the links for conversions and notes.