Today I am giving you something sweet to focus on. This honey gelato ticks all the boxes for the perfect ice cream. It has a smooth texture, and a rich taste.
At the end of last month the storm that is Covid affected people all around the world differently. Parts of Australia went into a short lockdown as the Delta variant had made its appearance. The country as a whole has dealt with Covid much differently to the rest of the world. They closed their borders to nearly everyone last March. And have allowed some people to return home, and even fewer to conclude their immigration process. The localised short lockdowns have worked to keep their Covid infection rates and deaths extremely low. And yet each time they have a three day stay at home order, and a request to wear masks in public, people complain. England, who planned on exiting their final stage of lockdown changed the date. They got an extra 4 weeks tagged on to what has been a very harsh economic shutdown.
Today’s inspirational recipe from Lavender and Lime ♥ Honey Gelato ♥ #LavenderAndLime Click To Tweet
In South Africa we went from Level 3 lockdown to Level 4. So many people were upset. Either they thought we had waited too long. Or they thought it was ridiculous to have another booze ban. We are nearly 490 days into lockdown. People are fatigued and fed up. And I get it! I totally understand that this one word has become the central focus of our lives. Conversations are all about who has it and who has survived. We mention sore throats with trepidation. And discuss who has had the vaccine, who is getting it, and who refuses to have it. Travel plans have been disrupted or totally ruined and we have not seen family members and friends for years! And yet, I am focussing on my blessings. Blessed that only two people close to me have lost their lives to this awful disease. And blessed that I am alive!
Click on the links for conversions and notes.
- 250 mls milk
- 250 mls cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 130 g honey
- Place the milk and cream into a thick bottomed saucepan and heat to a simmer over a medium temperature
- While you are doing this, place the egg yolks and honey into a thick bottomed saucepan and whisk until pale and thickened
- When the milk has warmed, remove from the stove and lower the temperature slightly
- Place the eggs onto the stove and allow the mixture to heat up
- Add the milk while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon
- Continue stirring until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon
- Remove from the heat and strain into a jug
- Cover and place the jug into the fridge overnight to cool
- Pour into a churner and churn as per the manufacturer's instructions
Inspiration published on Lavender and Lime July 30:
Are you feeling Covid fatigue?